Translate

June 28, 2013

Scrambled eggs (in the microwave...?!)

Not as gross as it sounds, I promise


For those of us living in a dorm, getting to the kitchen (usually situated on the ground floor) is more of a hassle than it's worth - you have to carry your ingredients, pots/pans, spoons, plates, bowls, and heaven forbid you forgot the spatula back on the 4th floor- it's just not worth that extra 30 mins of sleep! That, my friends, is why the microwave is every college kid's God-send.

One of the most useful things this gem can be used for is to make scrambled eggs (say what?!). Now, I'm not gonna sit here and say they taste just like pan-cooked scrambled eggs. Since the process of microwave cooking is very similar to steaming, nuked scramble is not as dense as its normally-cooked brother. If overcooked, it can also have a rubbery texture - but with practice and close attention, this should not be a problem.

You really just need eggs, a mug, and a fork (and 2 Tbsp milk if you want), but I decided to take a pic of my whole breakfast for some reason.
Bfast patties (frozen), eggs, bread (frozen, will be toasted), mug, fork [& microwave]
Eggs are satiating because they have good-quality complete protein, which is almost evenly split between the white and yolk (~3.5g vs. ~2.5g, respectively). I know I said I wasn't going to include any nutrition info and just report easy dorm food ideal for SAs, but rules were meant to be broken!

Yolks have a bad rap because they contain a large majority of the fat and cholesterol in the egg, even though there are more MUFAs ("healthy" fats) than saturated fat (the "bad" fat) and upon further review of previous experiments and more current studies, dietary cholesterol actually has no effect on blood cholesterol, contrary to popular belief (and the heretic who said eating an egg a day was equivalent to smoking a cigarette a day - c'mahn son)! The yolk also has a decent amount of several vitamins & minerals too, including zinc, vitamin A, and several B vitamins; so think twice before you throw out that little ball of sunshine. If I were running I would have all 3 eggs, but since I have limited physical capabilities b/c of my hip surgery, I chose to have 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites to get in some protein without stuffing myself.

ANYWAY, back to the prep: crack the eggs in a mug, add a sprinkle of salt & a dash of pepper, & whisk away! Nuke for 60 seconds on high and stir. Your eggs should still be a tad runny, so nuke for an additional 30 sec. Heat intensities vary from micro to micro, so check the eggs at 10-sec intervals & stir to avoid over-cooking; your micro may only require 15 sec of add'l cooking. Rinse off your fork to get rid of any raw egg residue and check that your creation is firm and no longer runny. Break up the cooked egg to resemble more of an actual scramble.
 
*You can also make "poached" eggs by not scrambling, but you should nuke the eggs one at a time to ensure they cook all the way through (no coach would like his/her team falling prey to salmonella).

It took less than 5 mins to make this whole bfast (I nuked the frozen patties at the same time as the eggs) and probably less time to eat it all, perfect for rushed mornings in the dorm! I love scramble with toast, turkey/chicken/veg patties, fruit, and a cold glass of milk after hard morning workouts (especially long runs)! This is my scaled back version (water is off to the side).

That looks like a lot of egg, right?! I think nuked scramble has more volume than regular scramble...'cos that's just 1 egg and 2 egg whites! You can add some RF cheese, cook some chopped peppers & onions in with the egg, or add diced tomatoes - whatever you like!

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns/suggestions, and I hope you enjoy this SA eat. :)

No comments: