Translate

July 1, 2013

DIY Blender Cookie Dough

A healthy treat made with raw ingredients that won't make you feel like Shamu


I, too, was a skeptic at first, but I swear these "cookie dough" bites taste just like TollHouse cookie dough, except this "raw" version won't make you feel nauseous or guilty! I found the original recipe here and slightly modified it: I don't have counter or storage space for a food processor at uni, so I used a blender instead (which worked out fine), blended the choco chips first so they were more evenly distributed throughout the dough, and left out the sugar. All of my ingredients are shown here:
Whole wheat flour, choco chips, 100% pure maple syrup, roasted cashews, pure vanilla extract, rolled oats
Exact measurements:
  • 1/4 cup dark/semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (I LOVE dark chocolate but the local store only had normal-sized semi-sweet. womp womp)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted cashews (roasted = great flavor)
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour OR 2 Tbsp flour + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder (for double-choco version)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt (not shown...)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
 Since I had normal-sized choco chips, I pulsed them a few times to get them down to manageable size and put them in a bowl to the side.

Next, I blended the cashews and oats together until they reached a crumbly consistency, then added the flour & salt followed by a few whizzes to mix it up evenly. Lastly, I added the vanilla extract & maple syrup. *Syrup, honey, and nut butters always stick to the measuring cup so I spray the cup with olive oil spray and wipe it around with a small piece of baking paper to remove the excess so that I'm left with just enough to prevent sticking. Then the syrup slides out with minimal cup residue!

I tried blending it but wasn't really getting anywhere because it was just too sticky, so I gave up and decided to get down 'n' dirty and use my HANDS! So I scraped the dough into the bowl with the chopped up chips & mixed it the old-fashioned way, lightly wetting my hands with water along the way to stop the dough from sticking to my hands, and rolled the dough into three-bite pieces and one-bite pieces (this made quite a lot):

I put them on a piece of baking paper to freeze, and once they were frozen transferred them to a Gladware container so they didn't take on a freezer taste. Keep them in the fridge or freezer b/c they'll go bad on the counter-top. If you put them straight in a container they might stick together...but it's always fun to break 'em apart, I guess. :) These are great toppers for oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, or have a few plain for dessert.

This is definitely my favorite SA eat so far - give it a whirl and throw out that tub of TollHouse cookie dough, you will not be disappointed!! Thanks for reading!

No comments: